28/08/2018 0 Comments
Myths About Chiropractors
According to the Canadian Chiropractic Association, many Canadians continue to have questions about the role that chiropractors play in their healthcare, and what benefit care may have to their health. Chiropractors are some of the most misunderstood professionals, and unfortunately, this general distrust actually prevents people from getting the right treatment for their problems. This continued questioning is further complicated by a number of myths that have perpetuated about the industry – until now.
At Momentum Therapeutics, all our services are performed by registered massage therapists and licensed chiropractors, physiotherapists and acupuncturists. As a professional health centre, the treatments you receive or the orthotics you purchase through Momentum Therapeutics are all eligible for reimbursement under your employers Extended Health Care plan. Here are a few of the most common myths around chiropractic treatment explained:
- Adjustments are dangerous – in the wrong hands maybe, but a skilled chiropractor will understand your body and your problem before performing adjustments to provide the sought after pain relief.
- Once you see a chiropractor you have to keep going back - is false. Your chiropractor performs an assessment including a history and physical examination to determine the cause of the pain or dysfunction, followed by a treatment plan as part of a shared decision-making between you and your chiropractor, and like with many treatment regimes, once resolved you are discharged.
- Adjustments are painful – generally adjustments or joint manipulations do not hurt, and many patients report immediate pain relief. You may be nervous about the cracking or popping sounds that may occur during an adjustment, believed to result from the release of gas bubbles from the joint.
- Chiropractors are not ‘real’ doctors - Chiropractors are regulated in all 10 Canadian provinces, and are designated “doctor” similar to physicians, optometrists, and dentists after completing the extensive Doctor of Chiropractic degree program. Medical doctors require 2,756 class hours, while Chiropractors need 2,887 hours to complete their education with a focus on thoroughly understanding the spine, muscles, and tendons and as they can about the human body.
- Chiropractors are expensive - research into the comparative costs of treating several problems indicates that the overall expense of chiropractic care is considerably lower than the cost of treatment from a medical doctor, meaning you get value for your money.
A visit with a Momentum Therapeutics Wellness Clinic Chiropractor includes a history, performing evaluation (as needed) and application of one of several different treatment techniques can be provided. The first visit will be 45 minutes to allow time for all the history and evaluation. Subsequent visits are much shorter. Our Chiropractor may adjust, or perform soft tissue treatment if they feel it will be in your body’s best healing interest.
Momentum Therapeutics is located conveniently on the Westwood Plateau at Johnson and David in the Westwood Plateau village shopping mall. We are just off the David connector and only 5 minutes from Coquitlam Centre Mall and Newport Village in Port Moody. Whether it’s your last stop on the way home from work, or your first stop before heading up to the mountain, contact Momentum Therapeutics at 604-468-7328 today to book an appointment or you can book online anytime. Momentum Therapeutics can now directly bill most Extended Health Care Plans right from our office, reducing your out of pocket expenses.